Mum Shares Photos Of Mouldy Bath Toys As Warning To Other Parents
A mum has shared photos of mouldy bath toys as a warning to other parents, saying she was ‘disgusted’ after cutting them open to find they were completely black inside.
Posting several photos that showed the cross-section of her kids’ bath toys on Facebook, the mum referenced another parent’s similar social media warning from September, writing: “For those of you who saw the post I shared the other day of the little boy who accidentally squirted himself in the eye with one of his bath toys and it got really bad infected, y’all…
“I just cut my kids‘ bath toys open and needless to say, they are all going in the trash and I will never buy another and I would suggest you all do the same!
“They say mold grows in them because they’re never able to fully dry out! I’ve never been more disgusted in my life!!“
As a ‘disclaimer’ for all the ‘perfect parents’, she added: “Yes I clean my kids toys but you cannot dry them out fully, therefore mold grows because it’s wet.”
The post has since gone viral, racking up 251,000 shares and 43,000 comments – with many others agreeing that the issue was ‘gross’ and ‘nasty’.
One person commented: “That’s disgusting.”
Someone else wrote: “How horrible is that?! No bath toys in this house.”
Mum 'Mortified' After 'Feral' Toddler Daughter Sent Naked Photos Of Her On Snapchat
A third added: “So nasssstyy. Luckily I think all our kids are bath toy free!“
Some people said they sealed up the holes using ‘hot glue’, while others suggested ‘cleaning them with white vinegar’ as this helps ‘the water slip out when sitting them out to dry’.
One wrote: “Ugh yes I try to avoid those toys or I go crazy shaking water out of them after the bath but it gives me anxiety.”
According to MadeForMums, there are several ways people can ensure children’s bath toys are clean and safe.
These include: popping them in the dishwasher; putting them in a bleach bath overnight (about 3 quarters of a cup of bleach with a gallon of water); using sterilising tablets; and using white vinegar or apple cider vinegar (2 cups in around 5 litres of warm water), soaking overnight and then washing off with water.
As well as these suggestions, the website also says you can regularly replace the toys with new ones, although this can be ‘pricey and not particularly environmentally friendly’.